This post was most recently updated on December 3rd, 2018.
Another day, another Azure Active Directory error! So what’s this AADSTS70005 all about?
While either developing or just trying to use an application that authenticates against Azure AD, you might get an error message that contains error code “AADSTS70005“. This means that you’re trying to use implicit authentication flow, but it isn’t allowed for your app. If you have access to the Azure AD you’re authentication against, it’s easy to fix! See more below…
You might get an error, somewhat like this:
AADSTS70005: response_type 'token' is not supported for the application Trace ID: <Guid_1> Correlation ID: <Guid_2> Timestamp...
This is returned by your Azure AD instance, as it doesn’t allow the use of implicit OAuth2 authentication flow for the application id you’re using.
Solution: Enable the Implicit Authentication Flow
Okay, luckily the fix is going to be easy. You can resolve the issue by enabling the implicit authentication flow for OAuth2. There’s actually no switch in GUI for this – you’ll have to edit the manifest of your registered Azure AD application yourself. Follow these steps:
- First, browse to your registered app in your Azure AD instance. If you’re working with SharePoint Online (like I was), see this article on how to find the correct instance: How to use the Azure AD associated with your SharePoint Online! 🙂
- Then open the Manifest editor from the “ribbon”, see below for an example:
- Following that, you’ll need to edit the manifest to allow for implicit oauth2 authentication. See the highlighted row below:
Then just hit “Save”, and try again.
It should work now! 🙂 With any luck, you’re good to go.
The next error you’re probably going to get, is AADSTS65001. This link explains how to fix that: 4 ways to fix the Azure Active Directory error AADSTS65001 (The user or administrator has not consented to use the application)
Latest posts by Antti K. Koskela (see all)
- Subsite creation in SharePoint fails with error 0x80070005 for any user (even global/farm admins!) - December 4, 2018
- New-PnPSite fails with “SiteStatus” : 3 - November 29, 2018
- Issues with User Profile Property visibility in Search-powered functionalities - November 27, 2018
- “PictureThumbnailURL” always null in SharePoint Online Search results - November 21, 2018