Let's fix all the problems!

Fixing “An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest [projectname].deps.json was not found”

Reading Time: 3 minutes. This post describes one nobrainerish fix to the error “An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest [projectname].deps.json was not found.” I ran into this while running Update-Database for my ASP.NET Core web project, that’s using EntityFrameworkCore 2.1.1. I hadn’t seen this one before, but the error was quite interesting: Error: An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest (Koskila.[projectname].AzureFunctions.deps.json) was not found: package: ‘Koskila.[projectname].AzureFunctions’, version: ‘1.0.0’ path: ‘Koskila.[projectname].AzureFunctions.dll’ Well that’s a weird one coming from an update-database command! Posts Related to “Fixing “An assembly […]

Microsoft Privacy

What is “fp.js” – and why is it snooping on your SharePoint usage?

Reading Time: 16 minutes. Microsoft is gathering all kinds of telemetric data out of the usage of SharePoint. I ran into an interesting JavaScript file, fp.js, on SharePoint Online doing just that. Gathering data. It loads on pretty much every single page request, so it’s something you’ll bump into anytime you open your developer tools! Your customer’s IT might even inquire about it – perhaps wanting to disable it for perfomance or information security gains? But what is fp.js and what does it do? Posts Related to “What is […]

Meanwhile on Google Plus...

Google Plus is shutting down – fix your .NET OAuth flow!

Reading Time: 7 minutes. Google is shutting down their Facebook killer, Google+. While I’m sure there’s at least 10 end users that are sad to see the ill-fated not-that-social-medium go, the implications for Software Developers actually could be far more far-reaching. A lot of implementations of Google’s OAuth seem to rely on Google Plus’s APIs to get gather information about the user. When Google Plus goes down, so will the APIs. Their apparently unsafe implementation seems to be a major reason Google’s hastening the shutdown anyway. This means that […]

If you could just fix SharePoint... That would be great.

Solving yet another “Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException: Unknown Error”

Reading Time: 2 minutes. There’s maybe a thousand things that can throw an “Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException”, but a bit smaller amount of things, that are ambiguous enough to be called “Unknown error”. This post describes one, fairly usual fix for this issue! But let’s get back to the beginning for a second – you get what and when now? When running any code, that provisions new sites (much like https://www.koskila.net/new-pnpsite-fails-with-sitestatus3/), you get an error like this almost immediately: Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException: Unknown Error at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequest.ProcessResponseStream(Stream responseStream) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequest.ProcessResponse() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequest.ExecuteQueryToServer(ChunkStringBuilder sb) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContext.ExecuteQuery() […]

The 5th annual Hacktoberfest

#Hacktoberfest 2018 – a fun way to encourage Open Source contributions!

Reading Time: 4 minutes. This post is about the Hacktoberfest event in 2018. I contributed to Microsoft’s repositories and a couple of other ones – and it was a lot of fun! Wow – I’m quite behind on this post, but thought it’s worthwhile to give credit where credit is due. Even if that credit comes woefully slowly! In 2018, Microsoft took part in DigitalOcean’s Hacktoberfest-challenge. Designed to encourage Open Source -contributions in a playful and gamified manner (in addition to being a lighthearted marketing campaign, of course), it’s a […]