The SharePoint Framework (SPFx) is a page and web part model that provides full support for client-side SharePoint development, easy integration with SharePoint data, and support for open source tooling. With the SharePoint Framework, you can use modern web technologies and tools to build productive experiences and apps that are responsive and mobile-ready from day one.
But let’s take a step back.
The SharePoint Framework is the next evolution in SharePoint development.
According to Microsoft, the following are the key features of the SharePoint Framework:
- It runs in the context of the current user and connection in the browser.
- The controls are rendered in the normal page DOM.
- The controls are responsive and accessible by nature.
- It enables the developer to access the lifecycle in addition to render, load, serialize and deserialize, configuration changes, and more.
- React, Handlebars, Knockout, Angular, and more.
- The toolchain is based on common open source client development tools such as:
- npm, TypeScript, Yeoman, webpack, and gulp.
- Performance is reliable.
- End users can use SPFx client-side solutions that are approved by the tenant administrators (or their delegates) on all sites, including self-service team, group, or personal sites.
- SPFx web parts can be added to both classic and modern pages.