If you could just fix SharePoint... That would be great.

Solving yet another “Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException: Unknown Error”

Reading Time: 2 minutes. There’s maybe a thousand things that can throw an “Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException”, but a bit smaller amount of things, that are ambiguous enough to be called “Unknown error”. This post describes one, fairly usual fix for this issue! But let’s get back to the beginning for a second – you get what and when now? When running any code, that provisions new sites (much like https://www.koskila.net/new-pnpsite-fails-with-sitestatus3/), you get an error like this almost immediately: Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException: Unknown Error at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequest.ProcessResponseStream(Stream responseStream) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequest.ProcessResponse() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequest.ExecuteQueryToServer(ChunkStringBuilder sb) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContext.ExecuteQuery() […]

The 5th annual Hacktoberfest

#Hacktoberfest 2018 – a fun way to encourage Open Source contributions!

Reading Time: 4 minutes. This post is about the Hacktoberfest event in 2018. I contributed to Microsoft’s repositories and a couple of other ones – and it was a lot of fun! Wow – I’m quite behind on this post, but thought it’s worthwhile to give credit where credit is due. Even if that credit comes woefully slowly! In 2018, Microsoft took part in DigitalOcean’s Hacktoberfest-challenge. Designed to encourage Open Source -contributions in a playful and gamified manner (in addition to being a lighthearted marketing campaign, of course), it’s a […]

Get-Command -Module AzureRM.Profile. You're seeing it correctly - it doesn't have a Logout-AzureRmAccount, Disconnect-AzureRmAccount, Remove-AzureRmAccount or even Remove-AzureRmContext commandlets! That's a lot of fun :)

Oh no! PowerShell cached my Azure credentials and I messed up wrong customer’s environment!

Reading Time: 3 minutes. Whoops. Could happen to anyone, since the Azure PowerShell since (approximately) version 6.3.0 will cache your credentials between sessions without warning you. It’s really easy to run your commands with cached accounts, and end up executing your scripts against the wrong environment. In less serious cases, this means that you’ll end up running commandlets twice against the test environment, while you think you’re running them first against test, and then production. In more serious cases, you’ll deploy your ARM templates or run your cleanup scripts against wrong […]

If you could just fix SharePoint... That would be great.

Fixing “-2147024891, System.UnauthorizedAccessException” when accessing SharePoint SOAP Web Services

Reading Time: 3 minutes. This post is about delving into some legacy stuff – Microsoft has still kept SOAP-based SharePoint Web Services included in the product, since a lot of functionality has been built on top of them. We encountered an issue where you suddenly started getting exceptions for Unauthorized Access (-2147024891, System.UnauthorizedAccessException), no matter if you had access to the list or not. Error description We started getting this error, when requesting list items using SharePoint SOAP Web Services (namely, Lists.asmx): <m:code>-2147024891, System.UnauthorizedAccessException</m:code> <m:message xml:lang="en-US"> Access denied. You […]

“500 Internal Server Error” after switching a WordPress site to PHP 7.3

Reading Time: 5 minutes. Now for something totally different – for a change, I got to fix an issue with my own blog, so I had the chance to delve into PHP and WordPress configurations… :) PHP is an ever-evolving language – even if it might not always feel that way. The old workhorse has been powering most of the internet for a couple of decades, and weirdly enough, doesn’t really show signs of going anywhere. A huge part of the success story has been the fact that WordPress, […]