Have you ever run into this, very non-descriptive and weird SharePoint error message “Cannot uninstall the LanguagePack 0 because it is not deployed”? You could encounter it while running some PowerShell scripts – most typically, when trying to update a wsp solution.
I have, and luckily often easily solved!
Assume you’re trying to install, update or uninstall a SharePoint solution (.wsp package) using PowerShell-commands Install-SPSolution, Update-SPSolution or Uninstall-SPSolution (respectively). Operation fails with the following (or similar) error:
Error: Cannot uninstall the LanguagePack 0 because it is not deployed
I have actually seen this also in the form of “Cannot uninstall Language Pack 0 because it is not deployed”. However, I think the more relevant form of the error is the one that pops up in the PowerShell. See below for an example!
In Central Admin the solution is in Error state.
Not really clear, to be honest – most likely, it’s an issue in how SharePoint localizes some of the content types or other declarative artifacts.
You can find quite a lot of solutions online, but they weren’t really working for me. I tried restarting services, removing the package and meddling with the dll-files, but to no avail. However, the actual “last operation details” on the CA page hinted, that the problem was in fact in one of the features. The feature in question included some content types, and toying around with them is like playing baseball with hand grenades, so you have to tread carefully in cases like these.
So, what did I do?
- Set the feature’s auto install off (from feature properties)
- Rebuild and package the solution again
- Update the package (this will likely result in error but we’ll get the latest code to the farm, just not deployed to servers)
- Install-SPSolution with -force
And voilà! Everything should be working again.
Latest posts by Antti K. Koskela (see all)
- How to fix an Office Group with no Owners - November 14, 2018
- Help! My “Content and Structure” page in SharePoint Online is gone! - November 7, 2018
- Thanks for coming to my session at SPS New England 10/20 ! - October 20, 2018
- Speaking at SPS New England on 10/20! - October 17, 2018