.NET logo

How to get current user in ASP.NET Core?

This post describes how to get the currently logged in user using ASP.NET Core. This is compared with how it’s done in .NET Framework. Background In .NET Core, a lot of things are done a bit differently. That’s what I’ve been learning building more and more stuff with it, instead of good old .NET Framework. The learning curve is definitely there, but it’s not that bad – most of the things work in a similar fashion, but a huge number of details are different. In […]

entity-framework-logo

EntityFramework Core 2.1 – Update-Database error “The EntityFramework package is not installed”

Another weird, but simple issue I ran into when building a simple .NET Core application. I was just minding my own business, crafting since bits of code into something remotely functional, while I ran into an issue. While trying to apply my changes to the database using .NET Core Entity Framework, executing Update-Database simply failed with the following error: The EntityFramework package is not installed This error can occur with probably any of the EntityFrameworkCore commandlets. Update-Database is just the one I ran into problems […]

ASP.NET Core web app home page

Resolving the Version conflicts for a downgraded .NET Core 2.1/2.2 web app project

I ran into compatibility issues with .NET Core 2.2 on my Azure Functions projects, so I downgraded my whole solution (an Azure Functions project, a helpers library and a web application project) to 2.1, and got rid of that particular nuisance. This introduced a few new issues, though – namely, I started getting this error whenever trying to restore nuget packages or build the project: NU1107 Version conflict detected for Microsoft.AspNetCore.Razor.Language. Install/reference Microsoft.AspNetCore.Razor.Language 2.2.0 directly to project [projectname] to resolve this issue. [projectname] -> Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.CodeGeneration.Design […]

Let's fix all the problems!

Fixing “An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest [projectname].deps.json was not found”

This post describes one nobrainerish fix to the error “An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest [projectname].deps.json was not found.” I ran into this while running Update-Database for my ASP.NET Core web project, that’s using EntityFrameworkCore 2.1.1. I hadn’t seen this one before, but the error was quite interesting: Error: An assembly specified in the application dependencies manifest (Koskila.[projectname].AzureFunctions.deps.json) was not found: package: ‘Koskila.[projectname].AzureFunctions’, version: ‘1.0.0’ path: ‘Koskila.[projectname].AzureFunctions.dll’ Well that’s a weird one coming from an update-database command! Posts Related to “Fixing “An assembly […]

Meanwhile on Google Plus...

Google Plus is shutting down – fix your .NET OAuth flow!

Google is shutting down their Facebook killer, Google+. While I’m sure there’s at least 10 end users that are sad to see the ill-fated not-that-social-medium go, the implications for Software Developers actually could be far more far-reaching. A lot of implementations of Google’s OAuth seem to rely on Google Plus’s APIs to get gather information about the user. When Google Plus goes down, so will the APIs. Their apparently unsafe implementation seems to be a major reason Google’s hastening the shutdown anyway. This means that […]